Engineering Manager (Remote)
Engineering Manager | Factor Eleven | Portugal
We are looking for a world-class Engineering Manager to lead a couple of small to mid-sized teams building our suite of SaaS digital advertisement products, powered by our ecosystem of loosely coupled NodeJS Microservices. You’ll focus on guiding and upleveling Frontend and Backend Engineers. You’ll regularly pair up with others, perform code reviews, plan out tasks and projects, estimate workloads and provide guidance for others doing the same. You’ll be working closely with Product Design, Product Management, and our Architects to elevate quality and reliability of development as well as the overall engineering culture.
To ensure success as an Engineering Manager at Factor-Eleven, ideally you should have some knowledge of Typescript and NodeJS based services. Any experience with AWS, Kafka, and GraphQL is a plus. You’ll occasionally be hands-on and you should demonstrate great mentoring skills, team spirit and leadership abilities, resonating a highly positive impact on the people around you. An accomplished Engineering Manager will be someone who effectively and permanently raises the bar of the teams he/she joins, resulting in a department-wide improvement of quality, reliability, scalability and culture.
- Lead cross-functional teams in the conceptualization and implementation of complex features and services
- Stay 50% hands-on! We believe the only way to be a great Engineering Manager is to continue to be a great engineer.
- Mentor and provide career guidance to the engineers on your teams
- Collaborate with peers, within and outside the team, to help develop a long-term vision for our engineering practices and tooling.
- Consistently lead teams to deliver compelling products, features and services. Providing transparent updates, timeline estimates, and demos along the way
- Participate in defining and fulfilling the engineering hiring plan for the team, including screening and interviewing
- Help ensure that our coding standards and patterns are observed by participating in design discussions, testing and code reviews
- You’ll assist our support team and operations team in triaging and resolving production issues.
- 1:1s and performance discussions with team members
- Developing high-performance applications by writing testable, reusable, secure, and efficient code.
- Recommending and implementing improvements to processes and technologies.
- Keeping informed of advancements of technologies including Node.js and AWS
- Write and review tasks and estimate workloads for yourself and others.
Factor Eleven’s tech department is the inhouse tech scale-up responsible for our SaaS product suite offering localized digital advertising to enterprises of all sizes and shapes. We’re powering the engine that Factor Eleven is successfully built upon and elevate the possibilities of our product on a daily basis. In 2022 we’ve scaled up, literally doubled in headcount and in 2023 we’ll double again. We’re working together to fulfill our ambitions as a top ad-tech provider by continuously leveling up the quality and expanding capabilities of the entire platform, as well as our engineering and product organization.
Join our amazing team in our mission to move digital localized advertisement forward and enjoy the freedom, camaraderie and perks of our fully remote operations.
OUR PERKS & BENEFITS
- Transparent, above-market salaries
- 100% remote within Europe
- Flexible work-hours and part-time models
- Be part of a fast-growing, highly-skilled team
- In person department and company events
- Home office, co-working space and work-together allowance
- Personal and professional development courses from Udemy
- Case by case relocation and visa support
Please note that you need to be residing in and hold a work permit of a country in the European Union to be considered for this role.
- 10+ years of professional experience in software engineering
- 2+ years of engineering leadership experience guiding productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability, security and reliability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you and you don’t shy away from difficult and constructive conversations with your team
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval – and have applied these at significant scale.
- Proven involvement in cross-team, cross-discipline strategic planning and architectural design
- Experience in organizing, planning and giving workshops, fostering a growth and quality focused culture
- Excellent proficiency of NodeJS with TypeScript, web stacks, libraries, and frameworks.
- High familiarity with fundamental design principles behind scalable applications.
- Common knowledge of event-driven architecture, message busses, and/or pub/sub-systems.
- Proven expert knowledge on implementing automated and unit testing best practices
- Superb interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving aptitude.
- Excellent project management, organizational and time management skills.
- Extensive experience in mentoring teammates in a respectful, educative manner