In House Counsel (Remote)
In House Counsel | VIPKid | United States
As Global In-House Counsel, you will play a pivotal role in providing legal guidance, support, and strategic counsel to our organization. You will collaborate with various departments to ensure legal compliance and minimize legal risks while contributing to the achievement of our business objectives.
- Provide legal support for the Company’s U.S. and international business, including advice and counseling of business leaders regarding day-to-day operations, including providing cross-functional legal advice to business teams, such as Policy, Human Resources, Marketing, Finance, and Product, and conducting risk management and control for on-going projects;
- Review, revise, and draft a wide variety of commercial contracts, employment agreements, consulting agreements, and more;
- Guide management and business operations on U.S. and international regulatory and compliance issues, to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations;
- Provide legal support on labor and employment matters relating to VIPKid’s U.S. and international business, including advice and counseling on independent contractor classification and other employment matters, handling unemployment claims and administrative audits, and litigating employment matters in federal and state courts, with or without the support of outside counsel;
- Advise on matters related to workplace privacy, data protection, and intellectual property;
- Guide the Company through intra company mergers, acquisitions, and/or restructure of existing entities; and
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- J.D. or LLM degree from an accredited U.S. law school and current license to practice law in one or more jurisdictions in the U.S. (New York or California bar qualification is preferred);
- Eight (8)+ years of prior legal experience at a law firm, in-house, and preferably a combination of both;
- Experience litigating employment matters and handling pre-litigation matters involving administrative agencies;
- Experience providing employment advice and counseling, particularly on worker classification issues;
- Fluent in English and preferably Mandarin Chinese with excellent legal writing skills and exceptional communication and negotiation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively and professionally with individuals at all levels, internal and external, and the ability to work on teams;
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving workplace, and commitment to highest professional and ethical standards, and the ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and negotiation skills, as well as exceptional written and verbal communication skills; and
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and provide practical legal solutions.
VIPKid provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The base pay range for this role is estimated to be $150,000-$200,000 at the time of posting. Final compensation will be determined by various factors such as work location, education, experience, knowledge, and skills.
Job Title: Global In-House Counsel
Job Location: Remote – US
VIPKid, an innovative education technology firm, is focused on growing global influence and creating social impact through leveraging our online learning platform for good. With VIPKid’s education technology platform, we aspire to create unique value to the world by applying our expertise in education, core business competency, and technology innovation.