Website Pro Job
401(k) with company match | $500 enrichment stipend | Paid maternity and paternity leave | Generous vacation | co-working space subsidy | 100% paid medical, dental and vision employee & dependents
Remote Writer (Home/Mortgages)
Remote Writer (Home/Mortgages) | NerdWallet | Remote | USA |
San Francisco, CA or Remote (based in the U.S.)
NerdWallet is looking for an experienced writer who is passionate about helping readers make smart choices as they decide to buy or refinance a home, save for a down payment, explore homebuyer assistance programs, and compare mortgages, mortgage rates, and lenders.
Telling compelling and significant stories is only part of your job. Ultimately you own a piece of the NerdWallet library and have a goal to create the internet’s best answers for the readers you represent.
You will spend a significant amount of time researching and refining the advice we provide, then dig even deeper into consumer pain points to figure out the best next step. You will learn and use the best practices for search optimization to ensure that those who need help can easily find it. You will find ways to measure your success and build on it, to lead the way for an entire team when you’ve found something new and to learn from others as they do the same.
Your day may involve writing a feature for syndication, updating a search answer, gathering data for lender ratings, building the case for a new category of content, testing a calculator or quiz, editing a colleague’s work, pitching in on a presentation for the content team, or working closely with one of our cross-vertical partners on the product or marketing teams.
You will also want to help build a business and contribute to a positive working environment. You’re comfortable with change and taking constructive criticism. You work with equal enthusiasm whether you’re a project leader or team member.
That’s what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet. Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from Bloomberg, Dow Jones, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem solve effectively. We’re adaptable. We’re highly collaborative.
Where you can make an impact:
- Create and fine-tune robust, consumer-first stories, and initiatives for hopeful home buyers and homeowners who want to get the most out of their asset
- Regularly review and optimize key content, including shopping pages that help consumers compare mortgage lenders
- Suggest new content as you identify gaps
- Update lender data and reviews on a timely basis
- Measure and report on traffic and key metrics. Make content decisions based on your findings
- Research and write new stories for syndication
- Follow emerging trends and contribute topic ideas that integrate with business and marketing strategies
- Collaborate with other writers and your editors to constantly up-level your writing, content optimization, and other skills
- Share consumer insights and timely/relevant ideas to support social, email, media strategy, and syndication channels
- Help NerdWallet’s 100M+ annual visitors better understand their personal finances and how to make smart financial decisions
- A strong, versatile writer who can quickly grasp and comprehensively cover topics relevant to home buying and homeownership
- Data-curious and spreadsheet-friendly. You understand the potential in the stories both can tell
- Excellent at time management, prioritization and handling multiple projects at once
- A strong communicator who truly enjoys helping consumers navigate complex topics
- Attentive to detail
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from story assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work
- 2+ years writing for consumer-facing publications
- Experience writing about real estate, housing, home buying, home ownership, and mortgages is a plus
- Experience at a fast-growing startup a plus
- Knowledge of SEO best practices or interest in learning
- Experience with content management systems a plus; WordPress preferred
- Basic spreadsheet skills enthusiastically applied
- Familiarity with web analytics or willingness to learn
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend towards learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner and kitchens stocked full of snacks
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
- Remote: co-working space subsidy
- Remote: ergonomic desk, chair and/or keyboard subsidy
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.