Senior Linux System Engineer (Remote)
Senior Linux System Engineer | Pythian | Canada
Are you an experienced Linux System Engineer based in Canada? Do you want to work remotely with the good possibility of extension? Can you be responsible for the design, implementation, engineering and administration of Linux computing systems hardware, software and storage infrastructure supporting a 24×7 mission-critical environment? Can you provide senior-level system administration support for one of Pythian’s customers E-Commerce & Logistics website and associated applications and systems? If you Love Your Data™ and enjoy solving complex technical problems then this could be the job for you!
What will you be doing?
- Architecting systems infrastructure solutions to deliver business applications and contenting to customers at low latency and high throughput.
- Providing system architecture, implementation, system administration, troubleshooting and operational supporting for an E-Commerce & Logistics website environment
- Proactively improving engineering, implementation and maintenance standards for systems supporting e-Commerce transactions, manufacturing operations and corporate processes.
- Investigating and resolving system performance bottlenecks and platform instability
- Providing continuous system and storage capacity management.
- Managing system deployment lifecycle and helping enforce Change Management Policies.
- Engineering and implementing fault tolerant, multi-site and distributed computing platform to support business growth.
- Developing a framework to provide performance baseline and improvement for critical business applications.
- Providing third level escalation for operation problems and incidents.
- Resolving issues within prescribed SLA’s and adhering to incident management procedures.
- Performing Linux virtualization implementation, supporting and upgrades.
- Supporting enterprise data protection backup/recovery system.
What do we need from you?
- This is a “wish list” If you are interested in this role but not sure if your skills and experience are exactly what we’re looking for, please do apply, we’d love to hear from you! There will be plenty of opportunities to learn new skills and contribute to the Team and Customers needs and grow with Pythian. While we realise you might not have everything to be the successful candidate for the Linux System Engineer job you will likely have skills such as;
- DevOps skills with Ansible (preferred) or Puppet
- Strong Scripting Skills (Bash/Shell script or Python)
- Red Hat 5-7 and Oracle Linux 5-7
- Virtualization technology: VMware (vCenter, vSphere 4-6 and ESX 4-6)
- Linux file systems and storage architecture
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP, HTML, HTTP, SSL, SSH, SFTP, DNS, Apache, Tomcat and LDAP
- Understanding of database and web application concept and architecture: Oracle, Postgres
- Familiarity with database connection methodologies: ODBC and JDBC, understanding of system and storage design appropriate to support oracle database and Cisco UCS
- IBM v3700 family and HP 3Par 7400, Deep understanding of storage and SAN technology: Virtual disk, LUNs, snapshot, replication and thin provisioning
- Certifications such as Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) or Oracle Linux certification preferred, VMware Certified Professional preferred, Cisco Data Center (UCS) certification, preferred.
For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
Pythian is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
The successful applicant will need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in their country of residence permanently– Pythian will not relocate, sponsor, or file petitions of any kind on behalf of a foreign worker to gain a work visa, become a permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, or to otherwise obtain authorization to work.
Love Your Data™ is a registered trademark of Pythian Services Inc.
No recruitment agencies