This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
I came to writing by way of a lifelong love of movies and stories. I'd been a pretty serious illustrator in my teens and 20s, and for a while, I was a storyboard artist for commercials, TV shows, and indie movies. But then I realized my love of writing and combined that with my love of movies to become a film critic. I wrote hundreds of articles and reviews for online and print media outlets before the calling to write fiction happened, and I went back to school to get my creative writing degree. I graduated with an award-winning novel, and I've just completed my follow-up.
When I'm not working on my own writing, I love helping out my fellow authors and marketers. To that end, I specialize in editing memoirs, literary fiction, horror, science fiction, thrillers, contemporary fiction, and YA.
I’m passionate about words and sentences and well-told stories. For me, it’s at the level of words and sentences and paragraphs that the magic happens; the right word, the right tone, knowing where to expand and where to trim can make all the difference between a merely functional piece of writing and a great story you can take pride in.
I would love to help you take your work to that level.
Culver City, California
I'm a storyteller. Whether it's through fiction, marketing or social media, I strive to tell stories in emotionally powerful and effective ways. And it's my privilege to help my marketing clients and fellow writers do the same.
- 15 years as an editor, fine-tuning copy and manuscripts for marketers, publishers, and aspiring debut writers. Fluent in both Chicago and AP styles.
- 9+ years as a versatile content guru, helping clients in the entertainment, travel & retail spaces meet and exceed customer engagement goals.
- 10 years as a freelance film critic & entertainment journalist as well as a creative writer and editor in the fields of alternative newsweeklies, online film outlets and comic book houses.
- Debut novel, "The Leaving of Things" (Lake Union, 2014) is an Amazon best seller. The book has won praise from critics and readers as well as the 2014 International Book Award and the Kindle Book Award.
- Conceptualized, drafted and delivered the superhero graphic-novel manuscript, "The Mysterians" (TokyoPop, 2008).
Contract Publishing Experience
Copy Editor & Copywriter, September 2007 – ongoing
Jay Antani Editorial (www.jayantani.com)
- Since summer 2017, I’ve been working with fiction and non-fiction writers in elevating their manuscripts to publishable quality. My clients range from debut novelists, professionals who’ve written self-help guides, memoirists, poets, playwrights, and essayists. My services include ghostwriting, manuscript critiques, line editing, copy editing, and proofreading so that each client’s manuscript is in shape to bring to the widest possible range of potential readers.
Tasty Shop Media (www.tastyshopmedia.com)
- Drove social media engagement on Facebook and Twitter for two Tasty Shop clients—Brick Moon Publishing & Earbud Theater—specializing in delivering sci-fi/horror/fantasy stories in the form of books and radio dramas to a worldwide fan base. Even with a limited marketing budget, our daily selection of promotional posts and related, targeted content boosted social media engagement for both brands.
Netflix, Inc. (www.netflix.com)
- Played key role in the establishment and launch of new product copy for Netflix online and OTT platforms to drive consumer engagement.
- Boosted customer retention by fashioning taglines, narratives, hooks and pitches, all tailored to the most appealing aspects of a highly differentiated product line.
- Required a robust and fluent ability to research metadata on titles and talent, navigating a wide variety of online resources.
Studio System News & Casting Networks (www.studiosystemnews.com)
- Developed the house style and brand voice for new entertainment industry online daily.
- Edited all incoming articles to bring content up to professional and industry standards.
- Consulted with the Executive Editor of entertainment news start-up on issues of style and form for incoming Film and TV articles.
Baseline Research (www.baselineresearch.com)
- Developed an entire line of engaging consumer copy for the Turner Classic Movies online shop.
- Project required extensive knowledge of genres, filmmakers and the ability to craft succinct descriptions that combined plot synopses with customer-facing sales copy.
- Coordinated content management and deadlines with Assigning Editor at Baseline Research.
Luxury Link Travel Group (www.luxurylink.com)
- Led weekly marketing efforts, in conjuction with site managers and product development teams, producing newsletters for Luxury Link and its companion site, Family Getaway (familygetaway.com), email promotions, banners and content for revamped web pages.
- Managed a team of freelance travel writers; coordinated the scheduling of new hotel write-ups, assigning and editing write-ups to ensure each complied with house style and voice.
- Created SEO-rich travel content for new Luxury Link Destinations landing pages.
Orbitz Worldwide, Inc. (www.orbitz.com)
- Involved in the revamping of Orbitz’ online presence, contributing fresh, updated hotel descriptions designed to increase traffic to various world regions and reinvigorate customer involvement.
- Responsiblities included researching and crafting SEO-rich promotional descriptions covering features and services of U.S. and International properties for site readers worldwide.
The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (www.coffeebean.com)
- Created all of CBTL's online Tea and Coffee Microsites, giving detailed and descriptive information on the origins, quality, types and specialty varieties of coffees and teas offered.
- Created Taglines and Brand Names for Marketing campaigns.
- Crafted all copy for entire line of seasonal coffee and tea promotions, including Posters, Signs, Community Boards, etc. all on display at CBTL stores nationwide.
Jaman, Inc. (www.jaman.com)
- Established the voice, style and standards for metadata and merchandising copy for world-cinema download site featuring Bollywood, Asian, European, Latin, and Independent titles.
- Contributed filmmaker interviews, festival coverage and reviews to Jaman’s pop-culture blog.
- Collaborated with Editorial team in concepting and crafting both the U.S. and worldwide versions of Jaman’s weekly newsletters.
- Crafted effective copy for banners, landing pages, and all promotional materials.
Entertainment Editorial & Content
Film Critic and Entertainment Feature Writer, October 2002 – January 2013
- Authoring articles profiling festivals and filmmakers for Moving Pictures Magazine, com, Boxoffice Magazine and Los Angeles Alternative.
- Contributing reviews of theatrical and DVD releases of contemporary and classic films to a wide variety of online and print publications.
Contributing Film Editor, October 2002 – June 2005
Los Angeles Alternative
- Developed the style, voice and content of the Film Section of an L.A.-based alt bi-weekly.
- Authored film reviews, articles, profiles of filmmakers and players in the L.A. arts scene.
Assistant Editor, July 2006 – April 2007
BoxOffice Magazine (www.boxoffice.com)
- Managed B-to-B magazine's daily "Greenlight" column, a rundown of theatrical films currently in development for both print and online outlets.
- Filed daily articles on just-announced film projects and the major studios and players involved.
- Closely tracked industry breaking news and trends to ensure that daily content was up to speed.
- Copy edited and fact-checked national release schedules.
Adaptation Editor, Oct 2003 – June 2009
- Adapted English-language translations of Japanese comic books and novels for the U.S. market, making sure dialogue, style and tone matched contemporary American vernacular and slang.
- Responsible for adaptations of critically acclaimed, best-selling series Beck, Dead End and Lament of the Lamb.
University of Southern California (MFA, Professional Writing)
Relevant courses: Workshops in Fiction, Poetry, Screenwriting; Concentration: Fiction
University of Wisconsin – Madison
(B.A., Majors: Communication Arts & English Literature)
Relevant Courses: Screenwriting, Creative Writing, Film History, Film Theory, Critical Studies