Top 30 Best Writing Courses for Bloggers and Content Writers Working Remotely
By Summer Paulus
If you’re like me, you can’t envision doing anything else than to be seated at a desk and writing your heart out.
However, while you have typed your soul out on that keyboard, making magic with words, you want to step-up your game and look for ways to keep improving your craft.
One option to take your writing to the next level is by enrolling in a writing course and pursuing a professional career working remotely.
But first, what kind of writer are you? If you have already researched writing, chances are there’s a lot out there for you to specialize in, from grant writing to blogging, and it’s easy to overwhelm yourself.
Therefore, it’s important to know what your specialization is in writing. Are you a stern, “no-nonsense” technical writer? A whimsical poet? A romantic author?
Whether you already know your niche in writing or still searching for the writing path that makes you wake up in the morning with excitement, we got you covered. Here is Pangian’s list of courses to get you started towards landing that dream, remote writer job.
What is creative writing?
Basically, creative writing is the freedom of writing how one wishes. If you enjoy reading poetry, romance novels or even song lyrics, you were experiencing the work of a creative mind.
Creative writing is emotionally driven, thought-provoking or induces feelings in the writer and readers and can range from reviewing video games to writing scripts for TV shows.
- Google’s Creative Writing Course (free) – Google’s course on creative writing is a great place to begin for a beginner, with lecture videos, tips on storytelling and how to stay organized. Best part is you have unlimited access to free lessons, all you need is a google account.
- Udemy’s Write a Book! Creative Writing Skills for Beginner Writers – Learn the basics of creating your own book, with lessons on how to market your novel on Amazon.com.
- Udemy’s “Get Writing, Keep Writing” Course – A creative writing course on avoiding mistakes many beginners make, how to earn money as a writer and how to not “stall-out” and push forward to the finish of your creative piece.
- Udemy’s Fiction Writing Course: Step-by-Step – From plotting your novel, to writing a screenplay, Udemy’s course on writing fiction is a great course to expand your creative writing abilities. And while the price is high, keep an eye out for the occasional sale to snatch up this great resource.
- Creative Writing Course at Wesleyan University (free) – A beginner course to get you started on becoming a creative writer, learn how to craft your story by covering the three major elements of writing.
- Margaret Atwood’s Creative Writing Course ($180 yearly fee) – Learn from the master of dystopian fiction in 23 lessons, workbook assignments with the freedom of working at home from the writer of The Handmaid’s Tale.
What is blogging?
Blogging is daily writing, similar to writing in a diary. However, besides writing about the events of the day or jotting down thoughts, blogging covers a variety of topics, such as events or hobbies, and is written with an audience in mind.
- E-Marketing Institute Certification Course (free)- EMarketing Institute is a great place to start your blogging journey by offering a free course for beginners, an eBook to study and certification.
- Goins Blogging Course (free) – Teaches you the basics of writing engaging online blogs to draw in your audience and keep them coming back.
- Enchanting Marketing Free 16-Part Snackable Writing Course (free) – Recieve 16 emails detailing how to create engaging content for your blog. All you have to do is enter your email and you’re ready to begin learning!
- Udemy’s Complete Blogging Training – Beginner’s tips for blogging with videos, how to incorporate content effectively, how to assemble an emailing list and other tips for a new blogger to get their blog up and running.
- Udemy’s Blogging Masterclass: How to Build a Successful Blog in 2019 – Providing everything you need in order to create a blog that will draw in audiences with engaging content, strategies to draw in traffic and more!
- Udemy’s Viral Blogging 101 course: Blogging & Content Masterclass – How to draft like a pro, edit like a pro and more tips. This course will help you become a real pro blogger!
- Udemy’s Writing Tools & Hacks: Copywriting/Blogging/Content Writing – Learn to write efficient content and keep writing with these tips from analyzing headlines to creating engaging copy.
- Udemy’s 2019 Blogging Bootcamp: Build a Successful & Profitable Blog – From incorporating SEO’s, learning the business-side of blogging and other resources to help your skills as a blogger grow professionally.
What is SEO?
SEO, Search Engine Optimization, is how “searchable” your written content is. If you want to optimize your website’s content, you must incorporate SEOs into your writing by using keyphrases so it appears higher up in a search engine and gain more views.
- Google’s Search Engine Optimization Fundamentals course (free) – This free course is the perfect place to begin your knowledge of how to incorporate SEOs into your blog, understanding the mind of the consumer and cherry-picking keyphrases to draw in traffic to your site.
- Course on Lynda (Advanced) – Advanced SEO course on Lynda covers everything from Google Analytics, Marketing, SEO, Bing Ads as well as Google Ads.
- SEMrush Academy (free) – Enroll in this free course offered by SEMrush Academy, take the exams and become certified in SEO and market writing.
- Udemy’s Complete SEO Training Course – With Udemy’s dynamic course on SEO training, you can learn all the tricks for implementing SEO correctly in WordPress and boosting traffic to your website.
- Udemy’s The Complete SEO Training Masterclass 2019 (Bestseller) – Wondering why you’re not getting traffic? Udemy’s “Masterclass” will enable you to incorporate effective keyphrases to understanding the “brain” of Google’s SEO ranking system.
- Udemy’s “Learn SEO Optimization; Ultimate Guide for Website Ranking” course ($189.99) – From learning the basics of SEOs to understanding Google’s ranking system.
User Experience Writing
What is UX Writing?
A UX Writer creates short, concise content to help users use products and complete tasks online or within an application. UX Writer’s are vital to companies wishing to help their customers traverse their content, and it’s your job to assist them in that endeavor, providing them a helping hand along the way.
- UX Writing Hub (free) – This is a course on user experience writing that covers the basics. However, if you wish to receive advanced training, you have to pay to unlock more features. After working through the basics of this course myself, I highly recommend UX Writing Hub to begin your journey into UX Writing.
- UX Writing Course from Be Designer ($1,500) – Earn a certification in user experience writing by getting one-on-one mentorship, creating your very own project and preparing a portfolio. The downside is you have to pay a large sum to enroll in the certification program.
- Daily UX Writing Course (free for 15 days) – Learn the basics of user experience writing by receiving lessons in your email.
What is Copywriting?
A copywriter writes content, known as “copy,” that advertises or markets a company to its customers. Essentially, you’re a “seller” of words by writing letters, emails or advertisements, between the corporations and the clientele to sell a product or idea.
- Hubspot Academy Course on Content Marketing (free certification course) – Offering lessons, quizzes and instructional videos on copywriting that takes as little as 5 hours to complete.
- Skillshare Copywriting Course (requires a premium membership, offers 1 month of free access) – A course to get your feet wet in copywriting, with customized classes to fit your personal preferences, a variety of assignments to flesh-out your portfolio and interact with an engaging community.
- Udemy’s Copywriting Secrets – Udemy offers a large scope of lessons to become a master at copywriting in lessons tailored to beginners, written by copywriters in the industry.
Technical & Business Writing
What is Technical Writing?
A technical writer is professional, informative and concrete in their writing. Ultimately, a technical writer translates difficult concepts so it can be read by anyone, writing business proposals/grants or writing manuals for products.
- Technical Writing Course from Moscow Institute (free, Intermediate Course) – Offering flexible schedules that you can work around your life, Coursera can give you the “leg-up” you need if you want to advance your technical writing skills.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Course (free undergraduate course) – MIT offers a free course on technical writing with assignments, resources and assigned readings to get yourself started on becoming a technical writer.
- Oregon State University Course ($425) – Learn how to outline technical documents using concise language, word usage and visuals in an online course. Before you know it, you will be able to write your own reports or manuals in as little as 4 weeks.
- Coursera’s University of Colorado Boulder “Business Writing” Course (free/audit) – Providing a basic understanding of business writing, graphic design and tips to present your info effectively to your team. Google’s course is a great way to start writing for businesses.
Pangian is a participant in an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to affiliate partners, which helps us keep most of the resources we share free of charge for our readers. This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
About Summer Paulus
Passionate writer. English Major at the University of Central Florida. Contributing writer at Fantasy-faction.com. Loves living on the space coast.